Thursday, February 26, 2009

House Tour: Children's Rooms: Bedding

I am excited to add more decorating fun to my blog, at the prompting of my VERY COOL and WONDERFULLY ENCOURAGING readers!

Today, I am beginning a Decorating Series called House Tour by taking a tour around my own home and sharing my thoughts.
(!WOOHOO! I love decorating with friends!!)

I am starting in my own Children's Rooms. Why? Um. Because, they are the only rooms that are remotely close to being "done" in our house (and good houses are NEVER done, ya know.)

So, our first edition of House Tour begins with Children's Rooms: Bedding.
We start with Bedding because it is the mainstay of any bedroom's decorating theme.

1. Hide the Uglies
You knew I would start here!!!
For me, the Uglies include child-patterned-bedding.

It is much more serene to look at this:
than this:
Soooooo, keep that busy-but-happy bedding as a fun surprise for your little ones when they climb into bed at night.

For something Very FUN (but not neccessary!!$$$) have a blast by collecting a few fun sets of sheets, and changing them out to surprise your cute kiddos, or even to introduce a new season (hmmm, where can I find some cool Easter sheets??).

Plus, this makes it easier to change your child's bedroom whenever they are "into" something new, by replacing Elmo sheets with Bob the Builder sheets, for example.

All the while, you (and your cute one) won't be going cross-eyed from pattern overload, and you can delight in Hiding The Uglies.

2. Go with a Theme, not a Specific Pattern

This is related to my first tip, in that, it is easier to keep a Theme simple, and way too hard to change a Pattern once you have drenched your room with it.

Themes (more classic, more bang-for-your buck, more flexible) vs.
Patterns (limiting, costly because they are often priced up and have copyrights, dizzying):

Here are a few Examples:
Theme: Nautical, Navy and Rich Woods vs. Pattern: Boats
Theme: Pink with Feathers vs. Pattern: Barbie
Theme: Red and Racing Stripes vs. Pattern: Lightening McQueen
Theme: White, Cream and Furry vs. Pattern: Sheep
.....getting the idea?? I bet you can think of a million great ones!

With a Theme, you can keep the room simple and classy.

Here is an evolution of Caleb's Room Themes.

I started with a Lamb Nursery, so my Theme was Whites, Cremes, and Furry:
And as he gets older, we are morphing into a Nautical Theme (Navys, Tans, Stripes, Rich Wood): {Morphing is the Operative Word... never "Done."}:3. Make Thematic Connections
Once you have a Room and Bedding Theme solidified.... Accessorize! Add fun, low-ticket touches within your Theme that Connect it all!!

Lamp Shades:
Pillow Shams, of course: Toy Displays:
4. Change it Up
Last, but not least. Have fun with your bedding by trying out different ways of making the bed. Now that is just plain-old, no cost, Decorating Fun.

So, bloggettes! Let me in on your thoughts for Children's bedding, including your money-practical ideas, how you Hide The Uglies with Bedding, and if you can, send me links to pics of your children's bedding ideas!!!!!

20 friends had a thing or two to say...:

LisaShaw said...

I don't have little kids at home any more but I could have used these tips over 23 years ago (smile).

Love the photos! I like the stuffed animal in the window inviting me in. I'm a huge Teddy Bear lady and Porcelain dolls.

Bless you and thanks for the peek inside your beautiful home.

Love ya.

Tessa said...

I love the idea of changing their sheets as a surprise .. and as a way to "redo" their room .. at least in their eyes! Then again, I haven't changed Jonah's room since he has been 3! I love how you distinquished between themes and patterns - it is just funny because I would have described them in the opposite way ... pattern: stripes, theme: boats. But hey, who cares? I completely got the point and it was a great one! I am definitely going to look forward to more of your home tour ..

He & Me + 3 said...

I am huge on hiding the uglies. Great post and the room is awesome! love the stripes. Great choice.

Unknown said...

Love the room! I'm dying to do more with my little boys room including taking him out of his toddler bed...but currently his room is the size of a closet and I am still trying to figure out how even a twin bed will fit!
I like the sheets idea...my little one begs for thomas the train bedding every time we see it...and i can't stomach it! lol. Maybe I will be him the sheets and hide them!

Jessica said...

do we share part of a brain?!?! I am working on a post for Devin's room that is SO similar to this!!!! We are such smart mommies! ; )

MaryAnne said...

I love this! Decorating is one of my weak points, so I really appreciate it when more talented bloggers share their decorating ideas - thanks!

Jenny said...

The room looks GREAT!!! I love your ideas too! Thanks so much for letting us peek inside your home! I can't wait to see more!

Mom in High Heels said...

Preach it girl! I love themed rooms, but dislike patterned rooms. Indy's room is pirate "themed" with nautical colors and artwork, but not Pirates of the Caribbean (though I'm sorely tempted to get a life sized cut out of Johny Depp and put it in my room).
The room looks wonderful. Great job.

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful. I just loved the tour Darlene.

I may have to post about my daughter Grace's room. We recently remodeled it.

I LOVE remodeling the kids rooms!

Mom in High Heels said...

I shot you an email re: king cakes. Check your junk mail.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Darlene, thanks for stopping by. I don't think I've been by here before, but what a pretty blog you have! Looks like you are really into decorating and projects too. What fun! I look forward to getting to know you & peeking around your house too.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I take that back, I did come by here to see your master bedroom post & it's SO pretty. I just adore your old home, gorgeous details and I just went & looked up your DR, well, so picture frame molding didn't work for you, but you sure have a beautiful old home to work with. I don't blame you for calling it your dream home. I've always loved old homes, but never owned one. I'll have to add you to my Bloglines so I can keep up with your projects.

Hope you'll come back & visit me often too! Another decorating kindred sister.

Flamingo said...

oh darlene you have such a gift for presentation!

this made me laugh and made me sad. there was a day that i was so into my home...i was addicted to hgtv! but now i haven't thought about changing anything...i need refocus!

i should do a home tour of my kids bedrooms...you would gasp at the uglies. my kids are so not into my themes or patterns. they prefer to display a new pack of gum as the main theme. seriously...they love the dumbest stuff.

this does inspire me though to buy a new curtain...i have a bed sheet hanging up right now...and it's splattered with paint! sigh.

i won't link my kids bedding either. they make their own and insist on using different pillowcases and sheets. nothing matches.

they also have matching green comforters that match the room perfect. they refuse to keep those on their beds too.

yea. my house has gone to pot:)

Jess @ Just a Blink said...

Thanks for the tour!

Laura said...

Darlene, you are awesome. Will you please come to my house and help me hide my uglies????

Kristen said...

Came over from Kimba's - this was just what I needed to read! My 6 year old really needs new bedding but he is asking for NASCAR (!!! We don't even watch it so where this comes from, no clue) But you can imagine that I'm not thrilled about having a NASCAR room in my home.

LOVE the idea of getting him the sheets he loves and I don't have to look at it! Off to shop this weekend with that in mind! THANK YOU!! Why didn't I think of this sooner?!

Rachel said...

Darlene...I am so with you on NO cheesy character bedding!! I did a nautical theme for Clark's room as well. However, I love the idea of letting him choose sheets of whatever he is into at the moment. He would probably love that. Great idea. Cute room.........how in the world do you keep it so tidy?

Rachel

Unknown said...

Very inspiring! Makes me want to go and change up my kids rooms. They need it SOOOO bad!

Angela said...

BEautiful. great post. I loved flamingmama's comment,,LOL..Yepper, I have a daugther that is exactly like that too,,LOL

trooppetrie said...

i have to tell you I have really enjoyed looking around your blog today. what a wonderful home. what a wonderful relationship with Christ

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.