Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Before and After: Caleb's Room

******update! Thank you to all my sweet friends for your encouragement with my decorating fetish. It is all about balance, right? maybe I am the only one who gets out of wack with this one; but I tend to pick up a decorating magazine in the morning... when I should be picking up His awesome Word. Just wanted to share my hangups and struggles, especially if it blesses another sister in Christ!

******update #2! Let it be known!!! My great friend Billie helped me strip this wallpaper. Now THAT is friendship, and a servant-spirit! Thanks Billie!!

Before:

Gotta love the word-wallpaper. Also, check out the floors.
They are NOT painted black - they are black from age.

After:
Pop pop built us these beautiful shelves for Caleb before he was born:
The only room in our home that is 'done' ... ish.
Well, I knew that it would only be a matter of time! I tried to resist. I did..... But I can hardly help myself!!!!
I just love to decorate.


Now granted, with kids, college funds, possible Christian school, an ailing car, and an old old old house... well, you know the deal! We are all living the thing. Even still, a girl has got to do what a girl's gotta do. And that means decorate her nest.
DECORATING POSTS DISCLAIMER:
Still, I gotta tell you that I resisted doing decorating posts. There are lots of reasons, but the main one is this: I do not want to exalt it.

SO, that being said: I also don't want to be holier-than-thou, or even indicate that there is ANYTHING wrong with decorating your home. It is just that, I struggle with this one!! If I had my selfish way, I would decorate and decorate while the world crumbled around me. Oh. Wait!! The World IS crumbling around me.
............ There are a LOT of people who have dirt for their floor.


So...... let this post be read in light of THIS: 19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. "- Matthew 6:19-20

5 friends had a thing or two to say...:

These Are The Days said...

You don't know me but I just came across yours from Jenny's. I love the finished room, how beautiful. I can't wait to look at the rest of your blog. :)

lifelaughterchaos said...

sure...don't give any credit to those that stripped the wallpaper!

Tessa said...

What a great room! It looks like something out of a magazine. I love the deep windowsills ... very cool!

This is just me ... but I would have never thought you were exalting your decorating or house with these posts. I simply feel like you are inviting us in and showing us more of your life. You obviously have a gift ... and God has given you that gift! Glory can be given to God with that also!

I view our home as a sanctuary - and I also know that despite all of my posts about our home improvement projects this summer ... life isn't really about a new kitchen floor or mudroom shelves! (and I hope you don't feel I was exalting them .. in fact, that kind of cracks me up!)

This is getting long - but I guess the main point is ... find what you feel comfortable with and if posting about decorating makes you feel uncomfortable - there is a probably a reason. I don't mean you are doing anything wrong ... AT ALL. I just know that God speaks to me that way - and when I am feeling uneasy about something, He is usually trying to tell me something ... and honestly I have no idea what that could be for you. Just my 2 cents. Which is probably worth less than that!

Jenny said...

The room is beautiful. I just love the before and after picture. You worked very hard and it shows.Thank you for allowing us to peek into you home. I don't think you were showing off at all. I believe we have, as moms and as women, a God-given desire to make our house in to a haven for our families.

Hope to see more of your lovely home!

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Oh my gosh this is beautiful!! You do have a talent!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.