Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Room I Love: Our Master Bedroom


I was so inspired by the Nester's post on Master Bedrooms...and her general decorating philosophy, that it jumpstarted this brand new "I can do this" decorating spirit that I have not felt for YEARS!!!
Let me explain.

I now own my dream home. We all have a dream, and mine happens to be the money pit. But nevertheless, I cannot believe we own this home. Since prepubescent years, I have dreamed of owning and restoring a stone farmhouse.... and God bless my husband for jumping aboard with a twinkle in his eye!! A dream has been realized!

BUT.........
I have been surprised, however, at how paralyzed I have become in decorating this home. I have always LOVED to decorate, improvise, organize, and "hide the uglies." But since moving into this home, I have been afraid to touch anything, for fear of falling short of the-gorgeous-house-in-my-head. With all of my lofty visions for what it "will look like someday".... I just completely stopped decorating.

My underlying, subconscious thought was "well, I cannot afford perfection, I don't have time to create perfection, and I cannot sew perfection... so I will not do a thing."

Yes. That is what I have been doing!! A whole lotta nothing for the sake of perfectionism. Hey, I am just being honest.... in case I am not the only one! So, fess up friends, and make me feel better :)

But help was on it's way.

And now, I just can't get this notion out of my head:
It Doesn't Have To Be Perfect To Be Beautiful!!!!
props, credits, and TM's to the Nester :)
I am freeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
you know. as a bird.

And without further ado, may I present to you, My Master Bedroom... with the big changes and the itty-bitty changes that make it splendid:
Voila. Our Master Bedroom:
So, here is what I have done.

First, some of this is just plain-old overhauling of the room we inherited when we bought the house, which you can see here:

We had the floors refinished, stripped the wallpaper, painted the walls and trim (alas... it is only half painted, just like this room), and added our furniture and purchased blinds:
We removed these unlovely, mirrored, plastic closet-doors:
And during renovations, replaced them with these doors below. Yes, they are still unpainted. Wanna come over and paint them for me???:
Here is another good before-shot of the old floors. Take note of the window in the back of the room. We had to cover it (waaaaahhhh!) due to a roof line change:
But I was not about to give up a window without a fight. So I designed this bookshelf/window-thingy duet. I know you did not notice that one wall is painted and the other is not.......
O.K. soooo, that is it for our renovations/restorations. On to the FUN part!!!!
Fearless, Imperfect, Nester Inspired Decorating!

1. Fabric!
I have hopes and plans to add more. Maybe even some mistreatments?? But for now, I just played around with what I had until I came up with a luxurious feel to my bedding. I fluffed. I folded. and I dreamed about climbing in....
Don't forget to Hide The Uglies. Turn that pillowcase around, peeps:
Aaah. Yes. Much better. (and now you know how insane I am):
2. Pretty AND Practical!
I do not currently own any nightstands that fit into the narrow spots next to our bed, so for now we use our deep window wells. But that can clutter up quickly, so I use baskets to keep the stuff under control.

Here you can see my nightstand essentials: Water, Parenting books, Bible, and Gone With The Wind (reading it for the 3rd time. Truth be told.... I like to pretend I am Scarlett).

3. De-Clutter!
I like to hide anything that is not pretty. Hide. Hide. Hide. Hide the Uglies.

Here is my dresser top. The top drawer on the left is a junk drawer for the stuff of life. (Hide. Hide. Hide.). Wedding pic, Mary from my Grandma Nellie, and pretty bottles. Don't love the lamp, but it doesn't have to be perfect.....:

4. Shop The House!
May I introduce you to "The Nook?"


Here is the Phase 1 Nook. Crap shoved anywhere and everywhere because we had just moved in, and then proceeded to have babies. I am just thrilled this pic does not have dirty clothing articles on display:

Bad pic below, but here is the Phase 2 Nook. I used a painting to hide all of the JUNK that prissy girls seem to collect. Lotions, potions, hair devices, etc.:
Again, apologies for the bad pic, but here she is:
Phase 3 Nook.

I shopped the house, people.

And....Found some baskets to contain my primping delights. And that wooden thingy-dingy on the top shelf. Hope to find some fun and useless globes to stick in there.
Nester. You have freed the Nook. Now doesn't that look fabulous??:



Thanks, Nester. Thanks for the inspiration. And for smacking me out of my paralyzed decorating crisis.
Click Here for more Before and After, and for more on Hiding The Uglies!

41 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Paula said...

You are too funny, and a decorating delight (and an inspiration, as stated in my last comment I left). To coin a cliche...I just love what you've done with the place! I am going to de-clutter I think. I just must after seeing your results. Keep up the good work, even if it's going slower than you wish it to. Paula :-)

Unknown said...

You are seriously on a roll! Your house is GORGEOUS!!!! Hello Ms. Decorator - come on over to my house and let's have some fun!

I wish I had more time to get all those cute baskets and places to put them. Now I know what I will do with my very MESSY and UGLY which I hate nook of an office :) I love the nook just not what it looks like. Six adoptions worth of international paperwork and 8 childrens medical records will do that to you.

Hugs sweet friend!
Jill

Angela said...

What a beautiful make over...the floors are gorgeous. I LOVE your bedroom. YOu did an amazing job!!

Carol said...

It is so beautiful, makes me want to do a sleep over! My bedroom needs a redo...now to find the time and energy! Thanks for the boost! Carol

Jessica said...

It is GORG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy that you have your dream home! I have been working on my master too but forgot a before pic...

These Are The Days said...

Lots of work but looks like it was worth it. I think it's great. I'm lovin' your new blog design btw.

MaryAnne said...

This looks beautiful, and thanks for introducing me to the Nester!

I also love your blog design!

The Nester said...

Well, you did good. It's simply stunning and I'm glad you realized that you are free to have the home you love!

sharonavinger said...

LOVE the window in the bookcase design! How clever is THAT? You've done a great job with all your decorating. It's easy to see the fun you're having! Keep it up!

Teresa said...

wow- you have been busy. I like all the different textures you used- and great colors-
Have a wonderful day.

Crafty Niche said...

Your bedroom looks wonderful!

Free Art Printables said...

It looks fabulous! Love the chair!

Rachel Lundy said...

It looks great! Good work.

P.S. I love the header on your blog.

trish said...

Your blog is so pretty and I love your bedroom! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

M.J. said...

Your dream is divine!

MJ

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

What I would give to have your farmhouse! It's fabulous, and you have done an amazing job on the redo. Can't wait to check out more of your dream home.
~Misti

Anonymous said...

You house is almost as beautiful as you!!! You are living in my dream home too (meaning, I have also always wanted to live in a stone farmhouse). What an amazing transformation - thank you for sharing all the photos :)

Kristen, pajama mama said...

wow-it looks so warm and cozy and clean-now that the uglies are out of sight! great job! love how simple your bed is-is that just a white sheet?
-kristen

Christine said...

well thank you very much friend! I liked mine too until I saw yours!...lol You are adorable and do such nice work. Your home is so beautiful Darlene! Now, invite me over for tea so that I can take a nap on your bed!....lol Hugs and have a wonderful day!

Precision Quality Laser said...

Your room is fabulous! And I never would have thought about turning the pillows the other direction so the tags don't show! (I do not think outside of the box) Thanks for the tip!

Little Oak Table said...

Stunning! I LOVE the red coverlet against the wall color. That is pretty!

Unknown said...

I love this post - and your house is beautiful! :-) i think my favorite part is the bookshelf/window . . . so cute! :-) great job - thanks for sharing!

Mom in High Heels said...

Fantastic. Your home is gorgeous! I too would love a stone farmhouse. Actually, I'd love a stone cottage, but a farmhouse would work too.
Great job on your bedroom. And being free. As a bird.

Tessa said...

I know I have told you a million times before - I LOVE YOUR HOUSE! I also have a fondness for stone farmhouses ... especially those DEEP windowsills! We really need to plan a visit ... cause I could actually see your house in person! Not, that I am inviting myself or anything ... :) It looks great Darlene - and I am so glad you are now FREE!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that your paralysis has been cured, 'cuz, girl, you're good! Great job!

Sherri said...

Beautiful room! Great makeover. Love the red, it pops. And the basket in the windowsill is awesome. Keep at it! You are doing an awesome job.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Darlene, This is the first time I've been by your blog & what a great blog. Love all your changes & your house. You are doing a great job with it. Stop by & see me sometime!

Jodi said...

love that you're living your dream and overcoming the paralysis (I'm a perfectionist/procrastinator!!)

great job

CarJax said...

Hi sweet Darlene, Love - love - love your bedroom! You have definitely inspired me to tackle my office today! BTW, What is the brand and name of the color you used on your bedroom walls??? Hugs, Jax

Cottagecheap said...

Love that bedroom! BTW, you are SO not alone! If I had spent ten minutes doing 'something' everytime I dreamed of the 'when I have time/money or both' i could have gotten ALOT done.
Even now, I have a hard timeconvincing myself to spend a few hours painting one cabinet in the upstairs bathroom when my brain says, but one day I will get new drywall and a new vanity. Sad how perfectionism cripples us.

Carrie @carrieloves said...

Wow! What a difference, that is a beautiful redo.

honeysuckle said...

You are so lucky to be living in your dream home. I'm glad you aren't afraid to try new things even with your perfectionist personality. I am a lot like that too. You've done a great job. I love the builtin shelves and what a great idea to leave a little window in your area there too. Lots of decisions were made well. Thanks for sharing. Stop by my site when you have a chance.

Flamingo said...

it looks beautiful! someday i will be inspired to do my bedroom nice. i still have the same comforter for the past 10 1/2 years! too funny. i just hate spending my energy there because i NEVER see my room until i'm climbing in bed at night...and with that being 2am sometimes i never see my walls:)

Wendy said...

Oh, it's gorgeous! Such wonderful colors and floors, such a spacious room. I love your "freed" nook!

LisaShaw said...

Hi Darlene,

I found you through my precious friend Tammy from Not Mine But God's Story. I was drawn to your beautiful face -- where the light of Jesus is seen.

I have enjoyed this post as I partake of my first cup of coffee this morning.

I love your sense of humor! I enjoyed following the renovations.

I look forward to reading more.

Blessings and peace!
Lisa

Unknown said...

I found myself re-reading and chuckling. You've taken several us through a full story of your re-do. It looks terrific.

V and Co. said...

i love your bed!!!! i want one like that!

Unknown said...

love love the nook!!!! wish I had one!

Michelle
http://www.everydaycelebrating.com

Emily said...

It's beautiful - nice job! Followed you here from your comment at The Inspired Room. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

This was a great post because it reminded me of MY projects. Usually partway done, half painted but I want to get on to the pretty stuff so I ignore things :-) as long as I can. You have done a great job!!! I love it. And I remember your bathroom redo, another fabulous one!!

happyhome said...

Love it! Great job!

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.