Friday, December 5, 2008

A goat, a Christmas tradition, and my newest scrapbooking addiction

Well.........


I started experimenting with digital scrapbooking...after deciding that we would make our own Christmas cards this year.

This was actually a hard decision for me. I just LOVE Christmas cards. But I was actually feeling convicted!?!

At first, I made these cute cards at Shutterfly.com, but to mail 100 would have cost $55. + the shipping to me+ $42. postage. I just gotta say, I felt like that was tossing away money. Money that could be donated during this time when so many charities are hurting. When so many are struggling during the beautiful season of Hope.

(by the way, one person's conviction may not be another's. There is nothing wrong with buying or mailing Christmas cards! I LOVE getting those cards, and I can't wait to start showing pictures of all of our friends to our kids. But God was being pretty clear to me on this one, for some reason. He was telling me to find another way to share Christmas cards with our loved ones.)

So, Matt and I chatted and decided to go digital.

We made our cards, and saved about $60. Then, we decided that we are going to hand out {gasp} as many cards as possible, in hopes of saving at least $10 in postage- for a total of $70 saved (cost of gifiting a goat through Samaritans Purse. The goat will then be given in honor of our family and friends. Visit their gift catalog here.).

The rest we will mail out, or even email out {I am gasping at myself, people!!}.

This was hard for me.

I did live for 9 formitive years in the South, where the tradition of Christmas cards was like handing a precious gift to a friend. And, of course, Southerners have ways you do things... and ways you don't...back me up here, my sweet Southern friends!! I actually feel like I am being impolite. Or maybe, I do sorta feel like I am shortchanging my friends by handing them a card, instead of giving them the joy of a hand addressed letter.

But ya know. I guess some things are just more important.


Like goats.


13 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Christine said...

Your Card is beautiful...and I like this idea. I know we have been tightening up a lot around here, and with the twins both in college...sheesh. The fun never ends. I may join you in this card idea and call it a day! Thanks for this idea,..now I need to figure how to do it.

Anonymous said...

Love your card! Isn't it fun to "make" it yourself? And love the verse, too!

Flamingo said...

girl you should have just asked me and i would have given you all of these tricks;) i don't even make a card...i have to do my silly letter and then just a picture.

i have always handed as many out as possible. each year i consider not even doing cards because i agree the cost is just ridiculous...and i also have thought of emailing...although i'm gasping at that with you...i don't know if i can fully do that yet! hmmm, why don't we just email each others...there is 42 cents saved! :D

Jenny said...

Your Christmas card is beautiful!!! I think passing out as many cards as you can is a GREAT idea!!! We too have been cutting back this year and I think we may be handing out most of our cards too!

A card with a smile and a Merry Christmas hug...
who could complain about that!

Yolanda said...

Beauitufl family!

Jessica said...

I love the idea of a digital card (mostly because of the money savings)...however...I myself am a Southern girl and yes Christmas cards are a big deal for us. I do have to admit that if someone doesn't send us a card I start to wonder if they are upset with us. BUT if you are sending digital cards you aren't leaving anyone out and if they really want something tangible they can print it out. ; )

Laura said...

Beautiful, Darlene! I haven't even thought about Christmas cards yet! Behind again. Perhaps this will be the way to go for my family this year too! Thanks for the wonderful idea. And thank you for your prayers during my blue period. He uses it all...

Love to you,
Laura

Joy Junktion said...

I haven't scrapbooked in so long, I think I almost forget how. I have never tried digital but my friends keep telling me I need to.

I am making a recipe book for my mom (scrapbook) ~ I say making ~ I mean I am going to make it for Christmas ~ all of her family recipes. I need to get started.
I am also planning a sister's book for my sister ~ I have so much to do.

No Christmas cards this year ~ too expensive ~ but I like your idea. Maybe by next year I can try that.

Your digital card is beautiful:)

Bless you, Cindy

cherry said...

Those are adorable...coming from a someone who loves paper and loves scrapping...you have me wanting to play with the digi kits. Love the colors you chose. cherry

CarJax said...

Love this idea and your creation, Darlene. Ya know, if God is leading there's just no going wrong. Good for you for listening. Hugs, Jax

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Three cheers for the goat -- and the great card.

Unknown said...

You know what - that is a GREAT idea!!! I've decided that I'm going to do this! Thanks for the idea. :) :) :)

I've been dragging my feet and wondering what to do. So... be looking for my digital Christmas card!

Anonymous said...

I love your card and your heart !

What a great idea.

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.