Wednesday, November 19, 2008

We cannot underestimate Truth.

Whew. I have had a whirlwind of a week, and I am just now sitting down to post about our final chapter....

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Lelia and Lisa for guiding us through this study.

If you have never done an online bible study before, you really must! I cannot tell you enough about how wonderful it was to do a study in this format. Because I had to recap each chapter, in an intelligable way, through a post, God's messages to me were driven home in a clear and fresh new way. He spoke so clearly to me as I pondered what God's Word was trying to teach each week. It was wonderful to post about the concrete ways in which He was transforming my heart, and even more wonderful to share that journey with fellow sojourners who I have never even met! I just loved doing this study. Click here to find out more about the next "Yes to God" bible study. Won't you join us??
And now,
I just don't know where to begin telling you about the last chapter of "Behind Those Eyes," Chapter ten - The Truth Heals. Lisa summed up the heart of her book sooooo beautifully. I just don't feel compelled to give you the Cliff's Notes. So, instead, I will encourage you to read this book. It has blessed my life.

If you struggle with being real, honest, authentic, I encourage you to read this book.

If you struggle with saying no when you should have, or standing up for yourself when appropriate, I encourage you to read this book.

If you think that the truth only burns and hurts, I encourage you to read this book.

If you are trying to do it all, and be perfect, I encourage you to read this book.

If you struggle with accepting yourself just as God made you, I encourage you to read this book.

If you struggle with trying to be Ms. Perfection, Ms. Confidence, Ms. Happiness, Ms. Spirituality, be set free! These ladies are fakers. And, I think these pesky ladies deserve to be called-out on their bluffs again:
"Ms. Perfection is a lie.We can never be her.... and trying to be
her is robbing us of the beauty of resting in He who is perfect.

Ms. Confidence is a lie.We can never sustain our own
well-being, world, family, career, etc. etc.... and trying to be her robs us of depth in our friendships, and a rooted dependence on God alone.

Ms. Happiness is a lie.We can never be her - not for long
anyway... and we were never meant to. Trying to be her keeps us buried in an unattainable goal, and keeps our eyes off of eternity.

Ms. Spirituality is a lie.We can never be a perfect
Christian... but only by dying to self, and to our pride, and to thinking that we have the magic formula of doing things 'just-right', can we accept that it is only by Christ, through grace, that makes us worthy at all."
But, yes. And the biggest meat is in the last chapter.

The Truth Heals.
The Way, the Truth, the Life. It is He who enables us to be Real. It is He who frees us from big, fat Lies. It is He who knows truth, shows truth, is Truth - and He longs to share it with us. He longs for us to reflect His truth, by being honest and authentic with others. He longs for us to accept that He made us this way... to be who we ACTUALLY are.... for a reason. His reason.

Authentic.

Everyone eventually figures out the fake.
Why not live in Truth?

13 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Christine said...

What? This is ending!!!

I have so enjoyed this study through your eyes Darlene! Thank you so much for being real and honest on this journey here...hugs and I am so glad God has put you in my life for sure...the sunshine friend, not to mention my organization angel!...lol

Hugs =O)

Leaon Mary said...

Hi Darlene,
I too am wondering how ten weeks went by without crossing paths? Probly on my end it was because I was too enthralled in this weird battle I've had. ? This was the "hardest" study I've ever done.. not because the study was hard but because there were walls to break down. God forgive my spirit of REBELLION! -- This book is truly anointed. With all my heart I can say God used Lisa to make an impact on my life! And Lelia worked so hard being such a wonderful hostess..! I agree with you Darlene with my many thanks to them. I am so excited to begin the next online study with Lelia. And I look forward to reading more of your thoughts Darlene! I'm so happy that you too feel your life is BETTER for having read this book. God's will be done!
Lea

Tammy said...

I've been blessed by your thoughts and honesty.

What a journey and such a learning experience not to mention... thought-provoking.

Anonymous said...

Darlene,

Glad you were able to find the time to post--I always enjoy the passion at your blog!

I woke up around 3:00 this morning with that "big fat liar" in my ear. That has happened before and I go to prayer and talk to my Lord and I usually fall gently back to sleep. Well, the "big fat liar" was a toughie this time. It was about 1 and 1/2 hours until I was able to fall back into a good sleep. He (satan) is NOT happy about this book study and what I have gained from it. Must keep pushing and praying through because the truth is all I need!!

blessings to you,
Kim

Paula V said...

This is a very nice recap. I love how you gave statements of "if you've ever" then I encourage you to read this book.

Very clever way to summarize this book.

Anonymous said...

I will be looking for the this book today - thanks for the summary - I need it!

Joy Junktion said...

Darlene,
I have so enjoyed walking this journey with you. Your insights and posts have been beautiful and I have been encouraged by the comments you have left on my blog.
You are a beautiful woman and one I have been fortunate to meet through this study.
I hope you are doing the next one in January ~ I am ~ AND I am so excited.
Bless you, Cindy

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I wasn't a part of the Bible study, but I am blessed in reading this post. I have worn so many masks in my own walk, and I still try to pick some of them back up and put them on. But I'm asking God to help me keep these masks where they belong: at the foot of the cross, where I surrender it all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Darlene,

Thank you again for stopping by my blog! I am following your blog, and I think I fixed mine so that you are following me! I am so new to this, but I am meeting the most wonderful mommas that have a heart for God,it is so awesome.

Laura said...

Amen, Darlene! You wrap up the strongholds that this book addresses so well! I must say that I have so enjoyed "getting to know you" through this study. You have been a blessing, friend.

Stay in touch even though the book has come to an end!!

LynnSC said...

Great post Darlene,
I enjoyed this book too. I am so blessed to have been a part of this study.

I loved this statement,

"These ladies are fakers. And, I think these pesky ladies deserve to be called-out on their bluffs again"

Being a faker is so tiring. It is much easier to be real...

It was great to get to you know you through this study.
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Darlene,

Thank you for the prayer on behalf of my Jordan. He made it through a major oral report yesterday without the teacher "making him look stupid" in front of the whole class. Her attacks were on another girl that she had in tears!! Unbelievable! It is taking all of my strength to honor his wish for me to not get involved!

He is about 1/2 the way through this class--we are counting the days until January!

thanks again,
blessings,
Kim

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

I hope I don't lose touch with you. I still have you on my lists of blogs I follow.

You, along with many others, give me such hope for our children.

Beautiful women, inside and out, radiating GOD'S love and giving it to the raising of godly children and loving their husbands - GOD provides those in every generation that will stand and not be swayed.

Never let go of HIM, Darlene. You are beautiful before HIM.

Blessings,
Teri

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.