Thursday, November 27, 2008

Remember that Thanksgiving when we ate lunch meat?...

Well. I said I would be taking a break.

AND...
I said I would be off carousing with family, friends, etc.
BUT instead:

We had a Thanksgiving without a turkey.

Yes, dear friends. You heard me right.
And it was one of the most fun Thanksgivings I have ever had!!

My poor hubby came home a little early from work on Wednesday, and proceeded to begin "the great fever-induced sleep-off of '08." We think it might be strep. With 101.0 fever. (Just to be clear, this is not the fun part I was referring to)

Soooo, we did not make it out of the door to my mom's house for her delicious meal.

Intead, we got creative. Caleb and I (yes, you heard me right again) made Thanksgiving dinner. And since we had NO deadlines, NO turkey to work around, NO guests, NO need to even get out of our PJ's.... we had a blast!!

I would love to hear about your latest or most favorite holiday fiasco, or holiday blessing in disguise! Leave me a comment, and I will be sure to post the best story!

My poor baby:
My cooking partner:
Yes, friends. I am Becky-Home-Eck-y. I whipped up dressing from random stuff in my house:
Caleb was very productive, stirring up a concoction of kitchen scraps and garbage. (Note the sticker still on one of the veggie scraps. mmmmm). He kept saying: "I'm mixing some Thanksgiving":
"Green beans ala Hooker," a favorite recipe of ours. Named for some friends of ours (after their last name, not their profession.):
THIS was our turkey: I ate that?:
Something outa nothing. Not bad at all:
Enjoying the fruits of our labor:
Plain old enjoying:

Food induced coma:
Can I just eat him up??:While I make light of our bird-free Thanksgiving, it truly did remind me (in a much more personal way) what it must be like to not be able to provide your precious family with a lush, food-filled holiday. It is amazing that some of us have so much, and some have so little.

As we thanked the Lord at our meal today, Caleb added:
"We are blessed indeed."

Here is Caleb, singing "We are Thankful." Oh, you make mommy proud!:

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." - Luke 12:4

*Need ideas on ways to give? My blog bud Angel did a great post on this today. Check it out here.

*Oh, and don't forget to tell me your holiday fiasco stories!

12 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Flamingo said...

oh goodness..that stinks! you did a great job. i can't believe matt let you post that pic!

i know i've had some fiascos, but the 2 that come to mine were that last year i realized i made pumpkin pies with out the evap. milk. too funny, but the pies were still good.

and the 1st year we ever did the dinner, we didn't KNOW you had to have a roasting pan for the turkey. after an hour or 2 that turkey started looking pretty scary on just a jelly roll pan. so i had to run and buy a roaster and we had to swich the turkey into. that was almost a HORRIBLE disaster:0

Happy TDAY!

CarJax said...

Happy Thanksgiving back to you, sweet Darlene. Your family is so precious. Hugs, Jax

DeeDee said...

Thanks for your prayers Darlene!

Tessa said...

What an awesome recovery effort on your part! I am very impressed. We would have probably had to make something so "non-Thanksgiving" if we ever ran into a similar situation! PB&J anyone?

Luckily (or maybe unfortunately) I don't have any holiday fiascos to report ... but I do have to agree that sometimes those crazy moments turn into the best memories!

Caleb is the sweetest little thing singing that song! SO PRECIOUS!

Glitter & Bliss said...

I'm so glad I found your blog!!! Your little boys are so beautiful. I am surrounded by boys in my family. It is such a blessing and load of fun. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Leslie

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Wow. I certainly wouldn't call this a fiasco. This was pure Thanksgiving, through and through. What a beautiful story. Is hubby feeling better? And have the rest of your stayed healthy?

Carol said...

I really enjoyed your post. Things don't always work out as first planned, but that is not always a bad thing. Thanks for letting me know that everything doesn't always have to be traditional to be great! Carol

Christine said...

I am so sorry your husband was sick! I think you did a wonderful job of making a wonderful Thanksgiving for your family in spite of it all! I loved your sons song...I got to listen to it on my daughters lap top...as my computer has no sound! lol

One of my many fiascos was at Christmas time one year when my kids were very young...I was so busy with getting everything ready for Christmas that I completely over looked Christmas dinner! No stores were even open and so we made Hot dog soup!...lol I will never forget that as long as I have my memory!...lol Hugssssss and Happy Holidays! =O)

Laura said...

Yummy, Darlene! You win the award for most inventive!! You are a virtual Houdini in the kitchen! Looks like a wonderful memory, lady. I'm still digesting...

CarJax said...

Just getting back to really reading this post. Great job on realizing that your family and the love you share is a true blessing and reason for Thanksgiving. I loved this post. And I especially love the beautiful song on video. What precious boys you have.

Yolanda said...

How awesome!

Anonymous said...

Looks like an AWESOME day. Not the husband being sick part... but the family time.... and the delicous thrown together meal.

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.