Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Compared to what?

"The grass is always greener on the other side..."

We have all heard of the dangers of comparing ourselves to others. Others' stuff. Others' bodies. Others' beauty. Others' homes. Others' lives.

.......We shouldn't compare.


But lately a thought has been in my mind:

It is not comparing that is the danger. It is WHAT or WHO we are comparing ourselves to.

"I don't have enough."
Compared to what?
Compared to a magazine?
Compared to a blog post?

or compared to a mud hut?

"I'm so poor."
Compared to who?
The filthy rich?
The friends who are going on a really nice vacation?

or compared to the 1.1 billion of the world that has no access to clean water.

"I'm not pretty."
Compared to who?
An edited supermodel?
A cut and poked movie-star?

or the reflection in the mirror that God created with His own hands.

"I'm a good person."
Compared to who?
Compared to a murderer?

or compared to Jesus?

I find that it is good to compare.
It keeps reality in check.
It reminds me to get a grip and quit complaining.
It reminds me to give.
It opens my eyes to my blessings.
It causes me to ask God what He wants of me.

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."-Luke 12:48

4 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Heather said...

This is a great post! I guess I have never thought this way while I was comparing myself to others. Of course I can think of this when I am feeling good about myself but that doesn't help when I am feeling sorry for myself. I especially liked the one about thinking you are a "good" person...compared to a murderer? or Jesus? That is something that Christians need to remember because all too often we think we're "good" but really, if we compare ourselves to Jesus we will see how short we fall and that we need His grace and mercy just as much as a non-believer.

Flamingo said...

too funny! i've been working on something...i bit more intensive then a blogpost, and i'm not a 100% where God is leading me with it but it has been rattling around for years in my head. ANYWAY, this is a great spin on what i've been working on...mine is regarding the comparison trap we all catch ourselves in...this spin may have to go into my solutions chapter:)

Lelia Chealey said...

Very good post! I never thought of it like that before. Thank you for opening my eyes in a different way to comparing.

Anonymous said...

SO true~!!!!!! Thank you for a GREAT post! I am the queen of comparing. I try so hard not to. But, I am so hard on myself.

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.