Monday, March 16, 2009

Forcing Spring

I love Forsythia flowers. The first brilliant displays of color in Spring where I call it Home.

Alas, March is a fickle month around here... so we get tastes of Spring, but everywhere you look, there are just a few small, slow signs that the color is coming to life.

So, in March, I always "force" Spring.

Branches are my favorite flowering things to "force". Tree branches are some of God's most beautiful sculpture. And forcing branches couldn't be easier.


But to be honest, all that I did was cut some branches off of my bush......... and plunk them in water! And wait about 5 days: Voila!

5 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Unknown said...

Ahhh the taste of spring. Oh how I wish it would arrive - we are very ready especially after being in Florida.

Thinking of you!
Love,
Jill

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't stand forsythia. When I was young, we had one in our back yard and when I misbehaved, my mother said, "go to the forsythia and get a branch." Um. I guess you know what that meant.

After she died, I moved into the house and one of the first things I did was to chop the tree down. It grew back more vigorous than ever! lol
Still, your pictures are lovely and anything that heralds spring, is okay by me!

Laura said...

Beautiful, Darlene! I love forsythia too. Energizes me, and opens my heart to spring! Mine is not blooming yet, either. Fickle weather, snow one day and 60s the next. Patience, right? Maybe I'll just try this...

Unknown said...

So fun! :-) I like forsythia - and didnt know you could do that!

He & Me + 3 said...

That is so awesome...I never thought to do that. Very pretty!

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.