Saturday, January 31, 2009

Caleb is in the hospital; brave and recovering.

Hi blog friends! I have SO wanted to update you, but of course, have been right where I belong for the last 2 days... at my sweet boy's side.

I will share more details later; I am on a hospital computer, and I don't want to take too long. On Thurs., Caleb had a CT scan, after which he was immediately moved down to ER, then ambulanced up to the Children's Hospital. He has a large, contained infection as a result of/in addition to a ruptured appendix. This is quite unusual for a 3 and a half year old.

He has received excellent care. They had to drain the infection, and he currently has quite a few tubes in his little body. The infection is still draining (sorry if that is TMI!!), and he is doing very well in recovery. He has no fever and he is eating REALLY well (Yippeeee!) .

His treatment will include intense antibiotics, wearing a drainage tube and bag for a while, and finally, laproscopic surgery to remove the appendix after his inside swelling has gone down (maybe in about 6 weeks). He is being such a brave little boy.

As I have said before, your prayers are nothing short of a PRECIOUS TREASURE to us! Thank you for praying... I cannot wait to tell you how God has been with us through this scary time.

16 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Paula said...

Hi Darlene, my prayers are with you all at this time. May the Lord keep watch over Caleb and return him to health promptly. Much love, Paula

Room to Think said...

so glad they have found the cause. at least they can focus fully on treating it properly. gosh, he is brave! what a sweetie. yes, looking forward to your next post.

Mindy said...

I'm so glad you finally know what is causing all of his pain. Now, you can at least make progress to help him feel better. I know you're proud of him for being so brave, and I'm sure he appreciates your support above anything. Even though we missed the updates, you were exactly where you needed to be by his side. We'll, of course, continue praying for his health, more specifically now. The Lord will heal him in no time.

Unknown said...

Oh Darlene,

I'm so glad he is in such good care and you finally know what is going on!

Praying for complete healing, no more pain and for divine wisdom of every person taking care of him!

Sending lots of prayers, love and hugs!
Jill

Christine said...

Wow! Still praying for you and your family! I am so glad they figured this all out and that he is in good hands. See..you knew it was more...I'm telling ya it is a mom thing! We just know! Prayers for healing!

Unknown said...

wow. Praise the Lord they figured it out!

Laura said...

Oh, my goodness. I am so thankful that he is ok. I always thought a ruptured appendix was very dangerous! sounds like he has had some really good doctors. i am praying for little Caleb. Bless his heart. What a trooper.

Sarah said...

Hi Darlene! I got sucked into your blog during the bloggy giveaways. What a frightening experience! I hope all of his treatment goes smoothly, and that you are wrapped in God's peace.

MaryAnne said...

I'm so glad they found out what was wrong and that he is recovering! Good work asking questions and making sure that he got the care he needed. We'll keep praying for a swift and uncomplicated recovery.

CaseyDeuce said...

My thoughts are with your sweet boy!! Speedy recovery to him!!

CarJax said...

Darlene, Praise God you didn't take some of the bogus advice you were given at first. A Mom knows when things aren't right! Praying continues for sweet little Caleb. He is sweet AND brave - a precious boy. Big HUGS 2 U, Jax
Romans 15:13

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that your little guy has been through so much, but happy that they have found the problem and to hear your optimism about God being by your side:) Still praying for him!

Carol said...

I am happy you got to the bottom of it. Your persistance and prayers were the answer, now God can finish what He has begun in Caleb. Praise the Lord. Carol

Jenny said...

I was so sorry to read about your precious Caleb. Praise the Lord that he is doing better and recovering! He sounds like such a little trooper!!!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Darlene~
First, I'm SO thankful that the doctors were able to find out what was wrong.

Please know that I am on my knees...praying!!! Praying that every things moves at a great pace....and that your sweet boy find comfort!!

I'm also praying for you and your precious Hubby!!!

Unknown said...

I'm sending more prayers your way

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.