Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Before and After: our diningroom is finally painted!


Whew. I don't know about you, but with these little itty bitty ones buzzing around the house, it is REALLY hard to find time to paint anything. BUT, we finally have our diningroom finished! (With a little help from our friends)
Diningroom Before we bought the house:
Trim has been stained with a high gloss (insert historic snobbery here: That is NOT historic!), star wallpaper and red paint, bronze lighting, floor is pet-stained, barnsiding covers chimney. Sorry, country gals, but this was WAY too country for me!

We get to work: removed wallpaper (and CHUNKS of plaster with it), knocked down a few walls (that is another post!!!), removed chair railing. Painted the lights black and got new lampshades.
This is how our diningroom has looked for about 2 years:
Finally. Time to paint! Note all of the patched holes. The windows had to be hand-sanded and oil primed:
Fortunately, Caleb LOVES to sand. Really.:
And Here is the After:
SO glad to have that done! Now. I really need to hang up some pictures and get rid of those diningroom chairs that I can't stand! sigh. eventually.

18 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

That looks SO fabulous!!! Great job :). I especially like how you painted all of the trim -- that really makes the room! As for your chairs, I'd slipcover them! So much cheaper than new chairs, and you'll get a new look!
As for the color, I'm really into the oranges/apricots/terra cotta colors right now! :)

Unknown said...

Darlene,

I love it! Great job!

You are so talented. I spoke with Danielle yesterday and was complimenting on her on your blog makeover. She said that you helped so much to get it this way! Well, you my friend did an awesome job! Your blog is by far my favorite I have seen and I spent years in marketing before my blessed job as a SAHM.

Hope you are having a blessed day!
Love,
Jill

Jessica said...

Wow! It looks great! I agree with stacey! You should slipcover those chairs!

Tessa said...

Congrats on your mission accomplished! Take my word for it, I know exactly what you mean about finding the time to do home improvement - and I don't have little ones around! It looks great! I also like the painted trim ... I am just not brave enough to do it in our future little girl's bedroom! Thank goodness they do not use high gloss in that room, or I would have to paint over it! Again, it looks great!

Room to Think said...

sooo much better! man, star wallpaper and the rest of it was a little too interesting...eep...

Jos

Flamingo said...

oooh! it looks great!

and those chairs are fine..some of mine have no rungs!!

Becky said...

Whew! I hear ya about the iddy bitty ones. Your dining room looks great. Very classy and much better than that red mess from before. nice job!

Tammy said...

Your diningroom looks great!

It's a lot of hard work but in the end it is so worth it.

Unknown said...

Love the color! I just did some painting myself in my sons room...it's one of those things that I get so excited to do but after I start I quickly think "what have I done!? I'm never going to finish this!"
We had the plaster problem too...I feel your pain. I have never dealt with plaster before and when it all came tumbling down as I ripped the paper of I about freaked!
Anyway, looks amazing! You have awesome taste!

Paige Hinrichs said...

Great Dining room! Love the trim.

Love the blog. : )

Christine said...

Everything looks beautiful! It is always so much work yet also so rewarding! I am always amazed at how spacious your house is! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

It looks just beautiful! I know what you mean about trying to work around little people. :)

You did great! Lovely, just lovely.

Lynnette

Unknown said...

By the way, your blog looks beautiful too!

CarJax said...

I love the new look. Great job!! Next time we need you in the picture doing a Vanna pose with your hand outstretched showing off "the letters". Blessings, Jax

Jenny said...

It looks beautiful!!!!! I'm sure that was a lot of hard work! Love the paint color! So pretty and fresh!

Heather said...

It's so beautiful!! I love the before and after pictures! You did a great job, it's all so pretty!

Joyce said...

You've really done a lot...it looks beautiful. I don't think I've ever lived in a house I felt was completely done. Something always needs doing or re-doing. But that is part of the fun : ) Enjoy your weekend!

ARK said...

...looks so much better...

...all that work makes me tired to look at though...

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.