Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Know your facts, ma'am

Please hop over to this wonderful post by my friend, Happy Mama. She is exhorting all of us to know more about the intellectual backing for our faith. Yes. At the end of the day, God leaves enough unanswered questions that faith IS required. In fact, God asks for our faith: "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."
(Hebrews 11:6) (NIV)

But, Christians, we need to know our history. We need to know our facts.
Here is just a snippet of what Happy Mama has to say:

"I realize that the fact that the Bible has historical evidence is not going to turn everyone who finds out about it to Christianity. I just think that we, as Christians, can and should defend our faith and it is our responsibility to be able to defend it intellectually. Christians are constantly put on spot by atheists and non-believers, because they don’t know how to use facts, reason and logic to stand up for their faith or they are too lazy to do that. God gave us all brain, which is a terrible thing to waste."

You go girl.

Christianity is factual. It is history.
And this is one history lesson we should know in and out.
As a converted Atheist, I CAN say that facts were important to my conversion.

If you want to know more, search bookstores under a topic called "Christian Apologetics," or click here or here for ideas and resources. Or go here for a favorite of mine. And for more on my own story about Atheism, click here.

"... Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect," 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)

3 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Tessa said...

Hey Darlene, I am going to have to check that out. By the way, "tag ... you're it!" Check out my blog for the rules, in case you don't know .. and hopefully you will play along!

Anonymous said...

Great post. I am one who needs facts to back up my beliefs.

"Case for a Creator" is a GREAT book. I forget the author right now, but it really has some awesome historical facts proving there is a God.

Sharon said...

AMEN!

I wish I could go back to college and redo some of the conversations I had with non-believers... Oh, how much more I've learned since then!

Chuck Colson has a wonderful book out about the need to know the truths of the Christian Faith. And the "Case for Christ" by Stossel just knocked my socks off. Of course, my all time favorite will always be CS Lewis' Mere Christianity (or anything else he's written for that matter!)

I really enjoyed my visit to your blog and the testimony you're sharing. Keep it up!

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.