Monday, March 26, 2012

The Internal Struggle of Homemaking

Okay. Don't pass out. Yes, I realize it has been since last September that I posted at this blog. Oh, I wish I could promise more, but alas, life is full ... and pulling me in new and beautiful directions.

But, I just had to share this post with my WorthWalkingToward subscribers. It is a post I wrote over at my new and bustling-busy blog: Fieldstone Hill Design. I really think it will bless you, if you have ever struggled with the balance between making a home, and helping others who don't even have a home!!!

Here is just a part of the post. I invite you to click over to the actual post here, and you might even want to subscribe so that you can follow along with the series.

********

I am so excited to dive into my new series: "Overcoming Decorating Paralysis." You can read all about the concepts I will be tackling in the intro post here. I think we are going to learn a lot from each other!

This one is wordy. Bear with me as I hash this out...
Before I go on.

I have something I want to share that I don't want to dance around:

I want to tell you what I really truly think about decorating.

1. I love it with a passion. So much so that I write about it and work on it almost every day.

and, also:

2. It is a totally unnecessary luxury, one with which me must strive to seek careful balance.

there.

For two solid years I wrestled with God about even writing this blog and sharing my business with "the world" {*smile* that's you!}.

Why the struggle?

For one, I have seen desperate poverty with my own eyes. Fed people under bridges. Stared in the eyes of begging children. Heard from orphans. Seen small children walk through sewage and live in filth. And even here, in America. And through God's grace, He has not allowed me to forget a single one of these things. I know, from the depths of my being, how insignificant home decorating is in the grandest scheme of things.

And secondly, I believe to my core, and daily hope to live, these things:

"Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred." - {from the Bible, Proverbs 15:17}

"“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." - {from the Bible, Matthew 6:19-21}

I don't believe we should live casually by these truths, but deeply and intentionally.

Hence, my wrestle... Would Fieldstone Hill be glorifying the very things that moth and rust destroy? The answer is: it could. It certainly could. And on some days... it probably does. And worse. It has probably discouraged someone. Or frustrated someone. Or defeated someone.


To read the rest of this post, please click HERE.


*********

1 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Sarah said...

I enjoy decorating as well ... been blessed to make huts, cement rooms, dirt floors and houses into homes, all over the world.

Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip my toes in some serious goodness.

Splashin'
Sarah

http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/2013/06/slosh-grace.html

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.