Saturday, December 26, 2009

Twas the Lights before Christmas

Every year we gather up the family, don pajamas, make hot drinks, and pile into the family vehicle to celebrate one of our favorite family traditions:

Drive around town looking for the most garish Christmas Lights.

Here we are before this year's trek:
We ooh.
and we aaah.
and we LAUGH!!!!

For more about our Christmas traditions, including this one, check out this post.

8 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Paula said...

Hi Darlene! How much fun that sounds! I love all your Christmas traditions and decorating ideas. Just beautiful. I hope your Christmas was wonderful. :)

Mom in High Heels said...

Great tradition! My parents and I used to do that every year when I was a kid. It was one of my favorite things about Christmas. Indy's only been in the US for 3 Christmases, and they don't do lights here in Germany the way we do in the US, so no light trips for us. :( As an adult, it amazes me how, as a child, my dad convinced me that every blinking red light on top of one of those antenna things was Rudolph. Who cares that I saw them every other night of the year and they were just lights. On Christmas Eve they were Rudolph. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great tradition!!!! I especially love dressing the jammies!!! Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas!

Flamingo said...

we drive too on christmas eve for lights...we go to the gaudiest places...the kids love it!

your pix are always great as usual...

Joyeful said...

Love that picture of you all!! The pjs are just too cute. We LOVE Christmas lights, too! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas (and are still enjoying it!)

Becca said...

I miss going out looking for lights...but I just don't know where to do that! :/

Kristen said...

We do this also! One of my favorite things to go and do with the kids! So much fun! I love your grapefruit idea...have you dried lemons and limes then too? How do those turn out? The same?

Unknown said...

Darlene, what a beautiful picture and a great tradition!

I really missed you. I was staying away from blogging for awhile and now I am back, but mostly to read than write. I have been so busy lately.

This is wonderful that you have a Russian person living with you. Did you learn how to make some Russian meals? ;)

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.