Friday, July 31, 2009

Our Blackberry Farm and The BEST fruit crisp recipe.

Better late than never.
And we are so happy that our bumper crop of wild blackberries came late this year!!

This just says Summer to me:

And I love that we are building Summer memories with our boys, feasting in the bounty of God's goodness:

Seriously. Could it get more beautiful and mouth-watering than this?:

{We tend to get just a little excited over Blackberry Picking}:

Simple. Perfect. Summer.:

And now for my most favorite and Prized Fruit Crisp Recipe (an adaptation from a Martha Stewart recipe).
WARNING: This recipe is ENTIRELY too easy and too delicious! You basically will find all of your ingredients in your pantry. Just add the fresh fruit. Now, how perfect is that??

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.


Filling:

Approx. 2 overflowing cups of fruit
Between 1/4c. and 1 c. of sugar (example: for these tart blackberries or for rhubarb, I use 3/4-1 full cup. for strawberries or blackberries, I use a scant 1/4 c. You get the idea)
1/4 c. flour

Combine Filling ingredients and place in an ovenproof casserole dish (I like to put mine in a dish that will put the fruit at about 2 inches of depth):


Topping:
1/2 cup flour
1 stick of salted butter
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 cup rolled (slow) oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour and butter and pulse until the butter pieces are pea sized. Add brown sugar, oats and cinnamon - pulse to combine. Sprinkle crumb topping over the fruit filling:

Bake until fruit is bubbling and tender, and topping is golden, 35-45 min. (Rhubarb needs longest, but is OH SO good with this recipe).
***********
I am telling you, peeps, serve this baby hot with vanilla ice cream and you will be one happy camper. And. there is a reason why I do not have a picture for you AFTER the crisp came out of the oven....
mmmmmm. Enjoy!

4 friends had a thing or two to say...:

M.J. said...

i just bought 2 gallons of local fresh picked blueberries! I will be making this recipe for sure. Wish I had picked them in my yard like you all! Love the awesome photos!

Sassy said...

This looks so yummy! We used to have blackberries all over where I grew up and I have memories of picking them every summer! Now I get to make those memories with my kids. So awesome!

~Sassy

Bunny B said...

You have definitely got me curious with the looks of the end result! :) Sounds scrumptious!!

Christine said...

I just made a batch of Blackberry jam and a Blackberry pie here...yum yum...don't you just love all the fruit our summers produce! Hope you are having a fantastic Summer with your family =O)

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.