Wednesday, February 17, 2010

For Lent.

I decided to repost this from last year's Ash Wednesday since it captures how I feel about this season in the church calendar.

Today, February 17, 2010, marks the first day of Lent. Some Christians observe this traditional day on the church calendar by entering into a season of fasting and reflection as they prepare their hearts for the Passion season of Christ. Tonight we will head to church for the 'imposition of ashes' and the reminder that "we are from dust, and to dust we shall return."

My fasting list for this year includes:
No more cussing. (I am originally from New Jersey. What can I say?)
No bread. No cookies. No cake. No doughnuts. No crackers.

This year I won't be observing a fast from the internet, since last year's fast took care of my overdosing. I am now an official blogging slacker... and a happy one at that!!
**************************

For Lent
Lent begins today.
40 days until Easter.

This is a time when we reflect. we dwell on thoughts of what He did for us. and we remember the Ultimate Saving Sacrifice, with a small token of our own sacrifice.

I love the season of Lent because I love me some good Drama....

Easter unfolds fresh and glorious and bright,
after a season of remembering the days of Gethsemane, sacrifice, beatings, and silent suffering that He endured.
for you.
for me.
so we can have Hope.

For Lent, I am giving up some little things... some normal things,
and refocusing on things that are good for me. that are alive.
So that I can dwell on Him more.

So that I can think on Him whenever I have to stop and resist, or make a good choice.

No cake. No muffins. and No cookies.
No internet after 6pm (this one is hard! would you please forgive me for a decrease in commenting????? maybe you should join in?).
And an attempt to work-out, even just 10 minutes, every single day.

that is my list of not-very-spiritual-seeming-sacrifices.

But during these 40 days, I turn my eyes to the dark history of Jesus's suffering. And I remember with the help of the little things.

and as for Drama?
Cake tastes really really good on Easter morning.

14 friends had a thing or two to say...:

Becky said...

I haven't participated in lent for a long time. I will have to put some thought into what I would give up. Chocolate would be the most obvious and beneficial but ... but... *sigh*

Oh bother, :-D

Thank you for the reminder of why we should do lent.

Angela said...

I am just about to sit down to write my devotional for this Lenten season, starting this Ash Wednesday

Christine said...

Well you had better swing on by my blog before 6 and see your gift from me than! Blessing during your lent, I don't particapte in it but have always thought it to be a wonderful idea. Blessing on ya! =O)

He & Me + 3 said...

Beautiful pictures, and I think those are good things to do during lent (or not do).

LisaShaw said...

Hi Sweet Darlene, I enjoyed your message.

Any time we "give up" that which keeps us from "looking up" then that's a blessing. Enjoy the next 40 days as you give up to look up to see/hear and experience all that God has for you.

Thank you for the beautiful comment you left on one of my blogs this morning. It warmed my heart so.

I love you.

Liz Harrell said...

I think what you're giving up is a big deal! No cake? That would hurt me. No kidding.

Thanks for the reminding me, I havent given up anything in a long time.

mama's smitten said...

That sounds like a pretty healthy list! I am giving up my nightly Ice cream ! I was going to give up cookies but then realized , girl scout cookies should be delivered soon! But on a more serious note I am forbidding my self from complaining about a current situation.

M.J. said...

Beautiful words! I've never given up anything for the season...maybe I should...I like the reason for doing it!

Also, to answer your question on my blog about the JP. They have gummies for toddlers.

Paula said...

Thank you Darlene. You have given me the inspiration to also fast during Lent. I have never done this before, but I now appreciate it's signifigance. I am foregoing chocolates, soft drinks (sodas), takeaway (takeout) food, new books and DVDs (it's a fortunate yet unfortunate addiction, hehe) for this period and am also going to 'do like Darlene' and workout for at least 10 minutes every day. As for the internet...that's a hard one, but I am going to fast from it first thing in the mornings and make sure I seek God before the IE7 icon! Thanks again, Paula xo

Flamingo said...

i though you only gave up 1 thing for lent. seriously, the internet after 6pm should count for 10 things:)

and you better comment on my blog girl if i post i'm going to china.

but again...that hasn't happened yet. who knows when. sigh again.

Sandy said...

Beautiful post on Lent and the significance of sacrifice. Blessings on you Lenten journey.

Joy Junktion said...

Great words of inspiration today. I have been away for so long and just rejoined the blog world. Thank you for this reminder and message. My eyes shall be focused anew today:)

Jessie Davis said...

Hmmm... a few days without your sweets, should make for some interesting blogs!

:)

Anonymous said...

Loved this, especially 'cake tastes good on Easter morning':) This year, I am keeping a prayer journal. Praying for all I find through blog posts, or conversation or asking. It is already affected me since some of the people on the list are those who I am not fond of or very close to.

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.