Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Closet Artist

I am ready to announce to the world! I am a 'closet' artist.

Why "closet?" Well, for starters, I have tons of artistic ideas that have not come to fruition. And ideas 'do not an artist make.' Plus, there is the whole issue of 'what kind of artist.' Who knows?? But I have several loves, and I just don't have the ...drive, maybe... to pursue those loves.I guess the reason I don't consider myself a full-fledged artist is this: somehow I think that you are only a 'true artist' (whatever that is. I am just sharing my irrationalities, okay??) if you MUST create. In other words, you MUST paint, or you MUST dance, or you MUST write. If my stupid self-imposed definition is right, than I am a singing artist, and probably a makeup artist, and maybe even a decorating artist.... maybe, as long as you don't make me patch plaster.

Especially being a former music major, I know a lot of artists. They are cool. They are deep. They are fun. They are a little wacko. I LOVE to be around my artistic friends. They make me see things in wonderful and crazy ways. I particularly love my artsy friends who are also Christians. They know The Master, and they see His brushstrokes. That takes total humility, and honesty, and I think Christian artists rock!!

I am sharing this post because my ideas are about to drive me crazy. I have so many of them. But I just don't have the time and/or money and/or motivation to create. This has become more of an issue since this is the first time in my life that I do not have a constant creative outlet. Sometimes I feel like I am busting at the seams to create - but I am JUST TOO TIRED. Anyone hearing me on this one?? Part of being a mommy to little little ones, maybe.

I am a singer - who does not sing regularly. I am a painter - who never paints. I am a decorator - with so many concrete ideas, and no stinking money, and no motivation to do projects. I am a dancer, who sits in front of this dumb computer.
So, I do my makeup. That is about it!!

Am I alone, people?? I gotta know about other closet artists???? Confess!!

My previous home. (Prior to children!!!! duh)

The last painting I did, 1 and 1/2 years ago

3 friends had a thing or two to say...:

lifelaughterchaos said...

wow! i don't think i ever saw pictures of your old home..beautiful! i love the green color.

and yes, I know that you are an incredibly talented artist...i saw some of your "work"....from a stick figure drawing mamma, it's impressive!;0

and as i need to constantly tell myself, it's just not your season...the time will come when you can paint away!

Tessa said...

As you probably already know, I can totally relate to your decorating dilemnas! We have so many dreams and ideas for our house, but only so much time and money. I would describe myself as a creative person - but I am not sure if I am artistic! I can say that I am not afraid to try new things and I totally enjoy thinking outside of the box!

Your house and painting are beautiful ... I love color and I can see you do too!

Angel said...

That is GREAT!!!! WOW! :0) Angel

Sponsor a child in Jesus' name.